Friday 10 January 2014

Lanzarote December 2013

The off season playtime!

I have come out for a break by myself to dive, last time Rob came with me the the weather was not good for a land lubber. He does not like the sea or too much sun, but cold winds and clouds we might as well have been home, water is wet!!!
I on the other hand was having some fabulous dives. If anyone tells you there is nothing to see here they must be blind.
So I am out here to be able to dive dive dive ha ha the gods are not on my side.
I arrive and the first day we do 2 good dives but getting out on the second dive was a bit hairy, by the time I was on my bum for about the 5th occasion, I decided staying there taking the fins off with huge waves going over me was the safest option.
Then 3 days of no diving, so what to do? Well there are plenty of volcanoes to climb..some people think that it is quite a desolate landscape but I love the geology of the place above and below. Even a chance
                                      to have a look at the
                                      different natural vegetation
                                      growing in such harsh
                                      environment.
These two little beauties
are amazing to actually grow
and survive.
If you look and observe there
are actually quite a few different
plants growing naturally in the 
wild spaces.
 


So when we did get back in the water it was angel shark fest! these are the most incredibly beautiful shark you can want to see both resting or swimming effortlessly. It was just about full moon and the females were coming in but its 2mths early. Heavily pregnant or just sitting tails out to attract a mate...


















 Pink coral not something there is
a lot of in the waters off Lanzrote
but where it does grow its beautiful.
This dive it was only feeding slightly with a few polyps open.
 Yellow frogfish on one of my last dives, the last time I had seen one of these strange looking fish was when diving in Jordan.

 This anemone has the most beautiful purple and orange colouring. There are so many types of these in the waters here.

Lastly you can also go below ground on the island and it does not have to be in the large tourist attractions. If you can find a guide to take you there are volcano tubes to explore which are fascinating.

Lapa was not too sure this was the best walk in the world but he endured it...
One of the best Diving Instructors is David Thompson who is allied to La Santa Diving. He can spot some excellent wildlife.

1 comment:

  1. Had one of the best diving trip ever in Fuerteventura! Cold, windy (gosh I felt sorry for seasick people :D), drifty, but really nice... Once you get the technique (what to remove first?), getting back on the boat is easier ;)

    ReplyDelete